Chapter 1 (part C)

[p.108][Thursday, July 12, 1883 – Copenhagen, Denmark] Warm and pleasant. I had to take of[f] my shirts and drawers. I received a letter from P. F. Goss giving me routes through Germany.

Bro. Fieldsted gave me a nice pair of shoes. This evening we visited Tivoli gardens where we had a splendid time. We saw three women one man and a boy ride a Bycicle. We got a nice idea of Danish life and manners. In this country they make all drunkards and vagrants work on the streets and earn their own living. When a man gets in that gang he cannot get out without some wealthy man vouching for him. I had my Photo taken today.

[Friday, July 13, 1883 – Copenhagen, Denmark] We went to the Races some ten miles away from the City. The king and Queen and the crown Prince were present, the track was nice and thousands of people were present. They drank beer, smoked and enjoyed themselves but were not drunk nor given to rowdyism. I enjoyed myself very much and returned to the City well pleased.

[Sunday, July 15, 1883 – Copenhagen, Denmark] At 2 p.m. we went to meeting. The saints have a very nice little Hall that holds about 225 persons. I spoke to the saints about 40 minutes, Bros. Jorgensen and Fjeldsted giving the interpretation. A good spirit prevailed.

[Wednesday, July 18, 1883 – Copenhagen and Malmo, Sweden] I was sick all day with cold and diarhea. At 4:30 p.m. we left Denmark for Malmo, Sweden, distance 20 miles. It was a nice ride. We were met by Bro. Chas. W. Tietjen and taken to the Conference house. After supper we went to meeting. Bro. Wrathall and I spoke. Bro. P. Sundwall interpreted. Bro. Fjeldsted spoke a little while.

[Saturday, July 21, 1883 – Stockholm, Sweden] Bros E. K. Wrathall and I took a bath. In this country women wait on you. I was successfull in keeping the woman out of my room, but one put Wrathall through a regular Swedish bath, scratching his back and wipping him down.

We also went out seven miles to Drottninghohn where the Crown Prince lives. It contains a nice museum and the grounds are very fine. 6 p.m. returned to the city. The evening we spent in listening to music in one of the gardens. I have enjoyed myself very much.

[p.109][Trip continued from Sweden to Berlin, Leipzig, Manheim, Stuttgart, Schauffhausen, Arau, Bern, and Paris.]

[Sunday, Aug. 5, 1883 – Mannheim and Stuttgart, Germany] Bro. James Jennings called on me, and we went to the Railroad station and met Bro. P. F. Goss. He had come in the night before and got some of the saints with him and we had a general hand shaking. The government had forbidden the saints to hold meetings of any kind on pain of expulsion from the state. We took a look up and down the Rhine, paid our bill at the hotel and went on to Stuttgart.

We saw a few of the saints and chatted a little while with them. We saw Bro. J. Haffen. He is well and doing the best he can in the ministry. The officers are after him almost constantly.

[Monday, Aug. 6, 1883 – Stuttgart to Schauffhausen, Switzerland] We left at 7 a.m. and traveled through a most lovely country, being fine Wooded hills and valleys covered with Rich crops of grain. We reached Schauffhausen in Switzerland about 9:30 p.m. and put up with a Bro. Hagg.

We held meeting with the Saints in the evening. 15 persons present. I drank a glass of wine tonight for the purpose of finding what the people use.

[Sunday, Aug. 12, 1883 – Bern, Switzerland] We held three meetings and I spoke at them all. Bros. P. F. Goss, J. Q. Cannon, J. Lederman, J. Schiess, R. Hochstrasser, G. Hirschi, Andrew Villet, J. Stucki and James Wrathall were present and all spoke. A very good spirit prevailed during the entire day.

[Thursday, Aug. 16, 1883 – Paris, France] The day was very pleasant. We visited the Arch De Triumphe, Tomb of Napoleon 1st, the Louvre, Hotel De Ville, Notre Dame, St. Sulpice, Pantheon and the Garden of the Luxembourg, the Column of Vendome. We bought a few pictures and at 11 p.m. went to bed well pleased with our day’s labor.

[Saturday, Aug. 18, 1883 – Paris and London] It is a beautifull day. We leave this gilded city with its fair exterior.

Our Journey to England was pleasant and we were glad to again put our feet on English soil. I felt the heavy air on my lungs at once. We found the brethren all well at 19 Sutherland Street.

[Sunday, Aug. 19, 1883 – London] I attended meetings in the White Chapel and North London branches and spoke at both of them. I enjoyed most excellent liberty. The saints seemed to feel pleased to see Bro. Wrathall and I. It is quite agreeable to be again on English soil where one can understand what people are about.

[p.110][Sunday, Aug. 26, 1883 – Liverpool] We held three meetings today. One in Shield Park but it was broken by Rowdyism.

[Friday, Aug. 31, 1883 – Liverpool] I wrote to Joseph F. Smith to arrange for one of my wives to come with the Elders. I also wrote several other letters.

[Tuesday, Sept. 18, 1883 – Liverpool] I am thirty-five years old today and aside from a little rhumatism am in good health. I took a Turkish bath tonight.

[Visited congregations in Sunderland, Nottingham, London, and Bradford during September and October.]

[Thursday, Oct. 18, 1883 – Liverpool] I received a letter from Elder J. Q. Cannon in which he says he thinks my wife and his are on the way here. He says all of the Elders are in pretty good health except Hirschi. Jennings aint trying to do anything. Villet is weak and almost worthless. He also says Paul Hammer was guilty of grave indiscretions when on a mission some years ago taking another mans wife home with him.

[Wednesday, Oct. 24, 1883 – Liverpool] Stormy. I wrote to J. Q. Cannon for him to send Jennings to England. G. D. Olsen confessed to me that when he was a young man he had sexual knowledge of two women, Sam Sarrines wife and Leo Hawkins wife. This had troubled him lately and he had been out of his head.

[Wednesday, Oct. 31, 1883 – Liverpool] I have traveled 850 miles during this month. I have attended 20 meetings. I have written 38 letters.

[Friday, Nov. 2, 1883 – Liverpool] Several of us went out to meet the Oregon and found all well on board.

My wife Josephine and son Nicholas, Mrs. Annie Cannon, Mrs. John Reeve & Mrs. Long and a man and his wife, I did not learn their names [arrived].

[Sunday, Nov. 11, 1883 – Liverpool] Pleasant. We held two meetings today. The first was given up to testimony and in the evening Bros. James and Lambert spoke.

[Monday, Nov. 19, 1883 – Liverpool] Stormy. I dreamed my wife Sarah was dead. I spent the day studying German.

[p.111][Sunday, Dec. 2, 1883 – Liverpool] Last evening Elder Joseph H. Armstrong came to the office at Forty two laboring under a mental strain. He confessed to me that he had been guilty of Feeling of the Privates of Females since he was a married man, that while he had never been guilty of sexual intercourse with them still he felt that he was guilty of adultery. I comforted him as well as I could seeing his excited condition. This morning he seems to feel much better. We went to meeting and Bro. Armstrong and others bore testimony.

[Monday, Dec. 3, 1883 – Liverpool] Foggy. I spent the day in study.

Bro. Armstrong seems to feel pretty well, a little despondent.

[Tuesday, Dec. 4, 1883 – Liverpool] Foggy. Bro. Jos. H. Armstrong left this morning for Derby feeling first rate. I spent the day writing letters.

[Wednesday, Dec. 5, 1883 – Liverpool] At 2 p.m. I received the following

Derby, Dec. 5th, 1883

John Henry Smith
42 Islington, Liverpool

A sad calamity has befallen Joseph H. Armstrong. He is just alive. Write particulars.

John Cartwright.

At 3 p.m. I took train for Derby and reached there at 5:10 p.m. I was met at the Station by Bros. Cartwright and Jackson. Between 9 and 10 o’clock this morning Joseph H. Armstrong tried to cut his own throat with his pocket knife. The wound aint very bad but he had lost considerable blood. The Doctor had ordered him to be sent to the Infirmary.

Bro. Cartwright went to Nottingham to see Bro. E. H. Williams. I went home with Bro. Jackson.

[Thursday, Dec. 6, 1883 – Derby] Bro. E. H. Williams was impressed to come from Leicester to Derby this morning. Bro. John Cartwright returned from Nottingham.

We called to see Armstrong, who seems to be doing nicely. He seems to be rational enough now. We conversed with him awhile. I returned to Liverpool and found all well at 42. I traveled going and returning 178 miles.

[Wednesday, Dec. 12, 1883 – Liverpool] The wind blew a perfect hurricane all night all over the British [p.112]Isles. Many houses were blown down, and a number of people were killed. Much damage was done to shipping.

I spent the day in writing and study.

We held meeting in the evening, several strangers were present.

[Friday, Dec. 21, 1883 – Liverpool] The day is very fine. I telegraphed W. F. Smith to come to Liverpool to go home. Bros. E. H. Williams, Joseph H. Armstrong, W. S. Tanner and N. F. Smith all came in. Armstrong is improving in health but his mind unsettled.

[Tuesday, Dec. 25, 1883 – Liverpool] Still pleasant. We had six of the poor of this branch to dinner with us. The day was spent in visiting them.

[Went to Scotland, December 28, 1883-January 1, 1884.]

[Wednesday, Jan. 2, 1884 – Liverpool] We held a meeting in the evening and organized a Mutual improvement association with W. L. James and president and C. Anakin and John Doyle as Counsellors.

[Monday, Jan. 7, 1884 – Liverpool] Warm. Rainy. I wrote several letters, among them the release of John Q. Cannon to return home. In the evening we had a meeting of the Mutual improvement association. Some essays were read and songs and speaches made.

[Thursday, Jan. 10, 1884- Liverpool] Windy. Sun shining brightly, birds building nests. I spent the day in study. We took a walk. We went to Princess Park.

[Saturday, Jan. 12, 1884 – Liverpool and London] The day was very fine. I received a letter from J. Q. Cannon saying that E. Evans was very sick at Berlin. I telegraphed for Jos. A. Smith to bring him to Liverpool. My wife and I went to London. We found Bro. Nye and others well.

[Sunday, Jan. 13, 1884 – Pimlico, London] It is a very fine day. Conference commenced at 10:30. Elders from Utah present: E. H. Nye, A. H. Harris, Leo Clawson, John Reeve, N. G. Reese, J. Hemsley, A. Staynet Jr., C. E. Angel, J. Bench, Gibbons, Braby, Lund, C. Denney, G. Arkins, Dent. All of the brethren took turns in speaking. A good spirit prevailed. A number of strangers were present.

[Monday, Jan. 14, 1884 – Pimlico, London] Weather fine. The Elders all came together and we had a good [p.113]counsel meeting. My wife and I went to the Drury Lane Theatre and saw Cinderella. It was a fine display.

[Tuesday, Jan. 15, 1884 – London and Liverpool] Foggy. I received a letter from br. G. C. Lambert and in it was a clipping from the Evening News of the 28th of Dec, 83 saying that Mother Groesbeck had died that morning. It speaks in high terms of her.

At 12 noon we took train for Liverpool where we arrived at 5 p.m. and found our boy well. We received letter from Julina Smith saying Mother was dead.

[Sunday, Jan. 20, 1884 – Liverpool] Cool but pleasant. Two meetings today. I spoke an hour in the evening. I did not enjoy good liberty.

[Wednesday, Jan. 23, 1884 – Liverpool] Windy and cold. My eyes are bad. I cannot use them much.

[Saturday, Jan. 26, 1884 – Liverpool] Showery, I spent the day reading.

[Tuesday, Jan. 29, 84 – Liverpool] Rainy. I received the following Cablegram

Salt Lake, Quickmere

Regret Cannons Release. Prefer He remain Longer. Taylor.

I wrote to John Q. Cannon requesting him to remain at his post until released by the brethren at home.

[Thursday, Jan. 31, 1884] Stormy. I spent the day reading and writing.

During the month I have attended 18 meetings, traveled 582 miles and written 35 letters.

We have had a number of very Severe wind storms. A number of boats have gone down at sea and many lives have been lost. Walls, houses and chimnies have been blown down and some lives lost.

[Sunday, Feb. 3, 1884 – Liverpool] Cold. I did not go to meeting during today. I am under the weather with Lumbago in my back.

[Thursday, Feb. 7, 1884 – Liverpool] It is rainy. I received letters from J. Q. Cannon, Richard Douglas, my wife Sarah and several others. A. Douglas has gone home without being released.

[p.114][Tuesday, Feb. 12, 1884 – Liverpool] I spent the day writing and reading. I am still troubled with Lumbago.

[Wednesday, Feb. 13, 1884 – Liverpool] Pleasant. I spent the day working on an Editorial for the Star, subject Adultry.

We held meeting in the evening.

[Friday, Feb. 15, 1884 – Liverpool] Cool and pleasant. I spent most of the day reading proof for the Star and a new Edition of the Hymn book.

[Saturday, Feb. 16, 1884 – Liverpool] Cold and winterly. Bros. Joseph Wild and E. Evans left for home today.

I have spent part of the day reading. Elder C. H. Rhees is to preside in the Leeds conference.

[Tuesday, Feb. 19, 1884 – Liverpool] Rainy. I spent the day writing letters and reading. I received letters from Prest. G. Q. Cannon and M. Thatcher. The latter wrote from the City of Washington. He says public opinion is very strong against the Saints.

[Tuesday, Feb. 26, 1884 – Liverpool] Smoky and dark. The Arizona reached New York on Monday. Bros. E. Evans and Jos. Wild were on board. I spent the day writing letters. By extracts from some papers I learn that a Bro. Eastman is publishing letters against W. Jarman, and wringing my name in. Jarman thinks of sueing me for slander for publishing a letter from his wife.

[Went to Hereford and South Wales for meetings, March 1-4, and to Sunderland for meetings, March 16-17.]

[Tuesday, March 18, 1884 – Liverpool] Pleasant. I wrote to my wife Sarah. Mr. George Ramsden and I agreed as to passenger rates for this year. Twelve Elders go free with each company. Steerage from England £4.00, intermediate £7. Denmark £5.50.

[Monday, March 24, 1884 – Bradford, Yorkshire] Cool and pleasant. I dreamed in the night that President Young and my Father were still alive but that they had been away from the people and returned not satisfied with the way President Taylor was doing. I saw Prest. Taylor moving from the yard into his own home, and he seemed to be much troubled in his mind. J. W. Young and my brother Charles seemed to be mixed up in the affair. My conversation with my Father was as real as in [p.115]life. I enjoyed it very much. President Taylor came to where Father and I stood and they both disappeared.

[Wednesday, March 26, 1884 – Liverpool] Weather cool but pleasant. I spent the day writing an Editorial for the Star.

We held testimony meeting in the evening.

[Friday, March 28, 1884 – Liverpool] Cloudy.

The Prince of Wales attends the races here today. I went out to Aintree race course and saw the steeple chase. The Prince of Wales received the news of the death of his brother, Leopold, Duke of Albany. I should think fifty thousand were at Aintree today.

[Monday, March 31, 1884 – Manchester and Liverpool] Rainy. The Elders came together in Counsel. Bro. Lambert myself and wife took dinner with Mr. D. C. Lambert. We returned to Liverpool at 4 p.m. I have written 30 letters, attended 26 meetings. I have traveled 855 miles.

[Tuesday, April 1, 1884 – Liverpool] Pleasant. I wrote to my wife Sarah and spent the rest of the day in study.

[Sunday, April 6, 1884 – Sheffield] Meeting was held in the morning in the Saints meeting room. There were Utah Elders present W. H. Wright, B. Bennett, J. Williams, George Croft, E. Dugdale and myself. The saints presented Bro. Wright with a nice Bible as a little token of esteem. Bros. Williams and Croft and I spoke.

We met in the Albert Hall at 2 p.m. It is a nice place and will hold about five hundred. It was nicely filled. Bro. W. H. Wright and I were the speakers. Just after meeting a Sister Bacon fell in a fit. We rebuked her trouble in the name of the Lord Jesus and she got up and walked off. An Infidel Scored at us and wanted us to perform a miracle.

[Wednesday, April 9, 1884 – Liverpool] Splendid day.

Our company left for New York. British 207, Scandinavian 95. Elders 17. Total 319.

[Thursday, April 10, 1884 – Liverpool] The weather is very fine. I wrote a short Editorial for the Star and [p.116] letters to President John Taylor and my wife Sarah, son George and Aunt Lucy. We held meeting in the evening. No strangers present.

[Monday, April 21, 1884 – London] Cold. The Elders came together and we had a pleasant meeting in talking over the best methods to pursue in our missionary labors. In the evening we attended a Concert given by the saints at Battersea.

Guion’s steamer Oregon has made the quickest trip on record from Queenstown to Sandy Hook – 6 days 10 hours and 10 minutes.

[Friday, April 25, 1884 – Liverpool] I received a letter from J. Q. Cannon in regard to Emigration. Paul Hammer has been having the small pox: he has fled from Austria in to Germany. Bro. Biesinger is in prison at Prague for preaching. How long he will be confined we have not learned.

I wrote to Prest. J. Q. Cannon telling him to send Paul Hammer to Denmark. Bro. Lambert and I read some proof. I received several business letters from home and among them one from F.M. Lyman. He says my brother C. W. Smith is keeping bad company and drinking quite hard. J. W. Taylor fills Bro. C. C. Richs place in the Quorum of the Twelve. W. B. Preston has been chosen for presiding Bishop of the Church. C. D. Fjeldsted takes Bro. J. Van Gotts place in the Seventies.

[Wednesday, April 30, 1884 – Liverpool] Showery. I have a nasty cold. I wrote to F. M. Lyman and spent the balance of the day reading in the Doctrine and Covenants.

[Friday, May 2, 1884 – Liverpool] It is still raining quite hard. I spent the day dictating letters and reading in the Doctrine and Covenants.

[Wednesday, May 7, 1884 – Liverpool] Weather nice and pleasant. I spent the day reading, dictating letters and writing.

[Friday, May 9, 1884 – Liverpool] Pleasant. I spent the day reading. In the evening we held meeting in Shield Park, but few persons listened to us.

[Friday, May 16, 1884 – Liverpool] Pleasant. Bros. J. G. Halfen and Schiess with 135 emigrants from Germany and Switzerland arrived here today all safe. We booked 141 British emigrants.

[Monday, May 19, 1884 – Liverpool] The day is fine. We had a little meeting of the Elders and talked over the best methods to be adopted to get at the people.

[p.117][Friday, May 23, 1884 – Liverpool] The weather is just as pleasant as it possibly can be. I spent the day studying the question of the atonement. We held an outdoor meeting in the evening, but few attended.

[Saturday, May 24, 1884 – Liverpool] Today is the Queen Victoria’s birthday. Flags are flying in honor of the same, and the volunteers were out on parade.

[Tuesday, May 27, 1884 – Liverpool] Weather dry and warm. I spent the day writing letters.

In the evening Bros. H. L. James, C. G. Arthur and a local brother and I went to Wavertree Park to hold meeting. We commenced our services but were stoped by a policeman who said it was contrary to the rules of the Park. We had first asked the keeper who consented but when told who we were seemed to be in doubt, but after consulting the Police they came and requested us to stop.

[Thursday, May 29, 1884 – Liverpool] Cold and windy. I spent the day in study.

We went to Birkenhead and held meeting on some vacant ground. Quite a large crowd listened attentively. One vile fellow, well dressed and of genteel apearance, called me all manner of vile names. I came very near getting loosing my temper and administering personal chastisement to him.

[Friday, June 13, 1884 – Liverpool] Fine still. The Saints from Scandinavia got in during last night. We booked 100 people today. At 10 p.m. tonight Mr. Ramsden informed me that the Steamer Arizona had been seized for debt but the seizure was illegal. This caused me much worry.

[Saturday, June 14, 1884 – Liverpool] Splendid weather. Our company leaves tonight with 100 English, 406 Scandinavians and 29 returning Elders. They left in the night, E. H. Nye in charge.

[Tuesday, June 17, 1884 – Liverpool] Warm. I spent the day writing letters. We held an outdoor meeting at S[t.] James Cemetery and were disturbed by roughs.

[Thursday, June 19, 1884 – Liverpool] Pleasant. We read the Proofs of the Star. We went to Birkenhead and held meeting on market square, had a large crowd and good order.

[p.118][Wednesday, June 25, 1884 – Liverpool] Warm. Cloudy. I spent the day reading. We had meeting in the evening. Some stranger interrupted Bro. Lambert while he was speaking and I put him out of the house.

[Sunday, June 29, 1884 – Birmingham] Our conference was held in Hockley Chapel, commencing at 10:30 a.m.

During the morning hour several of the brethren reported their labors. We had a good attendance of people during the entire day. In the evening the room was jamed, and a splendid spirit prevailed.

[Monday, June 30, 1884 – Birmingham] Pleasant. The brethren came together in Counsel and all of us spoke upon the best plans to adopt in preaching the Gospel.

[Sunday, July 6, 1884 – Liverpool] Showery. We held three meetings today. I spoke in the evening on plural marriage.

[With Josephine visited Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Sterling, Scotland, July 12-16. Held meetings and visited historic sights.]

[Friday, July 18, 1884 – Liverpool] I bought shat today and paid 15/2. By letters from home we learn that Father N. Groesbeck died on June 29 and he was buried on July 1st. This came as a heavy blow to my wife, although we knew he was sick.

[Sunday, July 20, 1884 – London] Pleasant. We held one meeting outdoors and three in Orsons Assembly hall, New Road, Whitechapel.

Our meetings were well attended. I spoke one hour and 20 minutes in the evening, subject plural marriage.

[Monday, July 21, 1884 – London] Rainy. We held a meeting at 19 Sutherland Street, Pimlico at 11 a.m. All of the Elders spoke.

Today a popular demonstration was made against the House of Lords for their action aghast the franchise bill. I should think one million people were in the streets of the City.

[Tuesday, July 22, 1884 – Liverpool] Pleasant. I wrote to Thomas Waddoups releasing him to return home and appointing J. A. Druce to preside. I made arrangements for my wife and Child to go home with Bro. Waddoups.

[p.119][Saturday, July 26, 1884 – Liverpool] It rained all day. David James and his two daughters, Thomas Waddoups and Josephine and Nicholas, my wife and son, left for home on the Steamer Wyoming. I went with them to Queenstown. 10 years ago today I first landed in England.

[Sunday, July 27, 1884 – Steamer Wyoming and Cork, Ireland] Weather fine. I bid goodbye for the present to my wife and son and friends and I went ashore. I at once took train for Cork and upon arrival I stopped at the Imperial Hotel. I hired a jaunting car and drove to Blarney Castle and put my hand on the celebrated Blarney stone but did not kiss it as travelers usually do.

[Tuesday, July 29, 1884 – Queenstown, Ireland, and Liverpool] Stormy. I found all well at the office, with letters and papers from home. Old 42 looks very grim and lonesome without my wife and child.

[Went to Denmark and Sweden for meetings, August 2-17. ]

[Monday, Aug. 18, 1884 – Liverpool] I got letters from both my wives. The Papers announce the death of W. W. Taylor and L. W. Hardy. It is reported that two Elders have been killed in Tenn. by a mob.

[Thursday, Aug. 21, 1884 – Liverpool] Very warm. I received and answered many letters. John E. White confessed to me that he had married a wife some years ago and left her and that he had married his present wife without her knowing that he still had a wife living and undivorced. Sister White feels her position very keenly. I advised them to sleep apart until they could decide what to do.

[Tuesday, Sept. 2, 1884 – Liverpool] Cool and pleasant. Bro. G. C. Lambert and I wrote a letter to the Editor of the Liverpool Daily Post denying some statements made by Miss Paddock and copied into the Post from the New York Sun. We called upon Mr. Russell, the Editor and he consented to publish it. We were carefull to draw it quite mild so it went all right.

[Wednesday, Sept. 3, 1884 – Liverpool] Showery. Our Article appeared in the Post this morning.

[Thursday, Sept. 4, 1884 – Liverpool] Cool and showery. I received letters from both of my wives and they are well. All is going nicely at home. The News brings word that the bodies of our murdered brethren were on the way home.

Tonights Echo had an Editorial in reply to my short letter in the Post.

[p.120][Friday, Sept. 12, 1884 – Liverpool] I wrote another Article for the Echo and went to the office in the evening but did not see the party I wanted to.

[Saturday, Sept. 13, 1884 – Liverpool] Pleasant. I called on the Editor of the Echo and he told me he personally had no prejudice against my people but did not dare to publish the letter I had sent him as it was backed up by too much proof so I handed him another article without many quotations from other people. They agreed to publish that on Monday.

[Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1884 – Liverpool] Pleasant. I attended the Welch Eisteddfod in the Hay Market today. It was a grand affair. The building would seat about fifteen thousand people. Speaches, instrumental music and singing were the order of the day. I kept my seat for over six hours. The mayor of the City presided, having on his insignia of office. Everybody rendered their parts well.

[Wednesday, Sept. 17, 1884 – Liverpool] This evening’s Echo had part of my letter in it.

[Thursday, Sept. 18, 1884 – Liverpool] Warm. I received letters from both of my wives. All are well at home. Sarah sent me a nice birthday card.

I sent a letter to the Manchester Evening News, signed by Bro. C. J. Arthur. I wrote letters to both of my wives. I was also preparing item for the Star.

I am thirty-six years old today and am happy and well. Good news! 12 more persons baptised at Belfast, Ireland.

[Friday, Sept. 19, 1884 – Liverpool, England] Last night’s Echo had a very dirty editorial and a moderately fair letter from one who signs “Observer.” At 11 a.m. I left for Sunderland.

[Sunday, Sept. 21, 1884 – Sunderland] Showery. The brethren have secured a very nice Hall.

6 p.m. hall well filled. The speakers were Bros. Batty, Goddard and myself. I spoke upon plural marriage, all hands gave good attention.

[Monday, Sept. 22, 1884 – York and Liverpool] Showery. At 9:35 a.m. I bid the brethren good bye and started for Liverpool I called [at] York and visited the “Minster” [cathedral]. It is 525 feet long and 222 feet wide and 213 feet high in the central Tower. It is said the building stands where in early times was an old Norman Church and then a Saxon one. Some of the foundations of both are left. It is a grand old structure. The old city wall is still well preserved.

[p.121]I reached Liverpool at 7 p.m. All were well at 42. Some papers had come from home.

[Tuesday, Sept. 23, 1884 – Liverpool] Damp and threatening. I agreed with Ramsden for 4 pounds [steamship fare] from Denmark.

I spent the time writing for the Star and writing a letter for the Echo.

[Wednesday, Sept. 24, 1884 – Liverpool] Tonight’s Echo contains nothing good about the Saints but another vile letter from Jos. Johnson of Douglass, Isle of Man.

[Friday, Sept. 26, 1884 – Liverpool] Pleasant. Bro. G. C. Lambert and I took some letters to the Echo office. They said they would publish them, but they did not do but published another dirty letter from Jos. Johnson.

[Saturday, Sept. 27, 1884] Our letters did not appear in the Echo, but a dirty Editorial did and two short screeds, which said the correspondence must close.

[Tuesday, Sept. 30, 1884 – Manchester and Liverpool] Cool and pleasant. Bro. G. C. Lambert and I returned to Liverpool. I called upon Mr. Pearson, Editor of the Echo and hazed him a little in regard to the English liberality as manifested by his paper in regard to the “Mormons.” He expressed regret at the course pursued and said it was unfair to us but he could not help it as he was one of many. I called upon Mr. Parsonage of the Courtier, he did not seem inclined to give us any show to defend ourselves from the attacks in the Echo, but he would publish some short Articles in regard to us as a people.

[Sunday, Oct. 5, 1884 – Nottingham] Pleasant. We held three meetings. The Apostate William Jarman came into the afternoon meeting and at the close of the services tried to speak. We had him squelched at once. The Police ordered him to move in which he did. It created some confusion.

[Monday, Oct. 6, 1884 – Nottingham and Liverpool] Pleasant. The Elders all got together and we held a Council. All of us spoke, a good feeling prevailed. I went and had my Photo taken and then took train for Liverpool.

Tonight Miss A. confessed to me that she had been guilty of Fornication with a young man on Wednesday night the first instant. I gave her such counsel as I thought best. She seems to feel the weight of her shame keenly. She told me of her trouble of her own choice.

[p.122]I sent a letter to M. L. Pratt appointing him to preside in the Nottingham Conference.

[Went with Bro. George Goddard to Ireland and Scotland for meetings, October 7-13.]

[Wednesday, Oct. 8, 1884 – Dublin, Ireland] Rainy. We walked to the Custom house and from thence to the Post Office, in lower Sackville Street. In this street are monuments to Charles O’Connor, The Battle of Trafalgar and Lord Gray. We visited Trinity College dining room and Library. We saw the four gospels in Italian by the Monks, it is nicely preserved. We saw the Breeches Bible printed by Parker of London 1583. It is called the breeches Bible because that word appears in Genesis 111.7. The old Parliament building, built 1726, is now occupied by the Bank of Ireland, all but the old house of Lords, which continues as it used to be when the laws of Ireland were enacted. We visited the Royal College of Surgeons. The Collections are very good.

After leaving the College of Surgeons we hired a jaunting car and drove by way of St. Patricks Cathedral, Kilmanhaim gaol, Phoenix Park and saw the spot where Cavendish and Burke were killed by the Invincibles.

[Thursday, Oct. 9, 1884 – Dublin and Belfast] Cold and Rainy. We paid our bill 6/2 each and at 9 a.m. left for Belfast, where we arrived at 1 p.m.

We held a meeting at Abercorn Hall, Victoria Street. About four hundred persons present. Bro. G. C. Lambert and I spoke. Bro. G. Goddard sang a song. A lot of young men raised a disturbance so that our meeting was unpleasant to us all. The prospects were that we would be mobbed but a gentleman by the name Samuel Briglington appealed to all hands to go along about their business.

[Friday, Oct. 10, 1884 – Belfast] It rained, snowed and blew most all day. We tried to rent the Hall to hold meeting, the owners taking the risk of damage but they would not. We hired a jaunting Car and went 15 miles into the Country to Mrs. Eliza Jane Boyd, Rothmore, Parish of Dunnagore, County Antrim, where we saw a genuine Irish country home and ate some Potatoe fudge. Saw the peat burning, the threshing out of oats and we also saw the pigs being fed.

We had dinner at William A. Jamison five miles from Belfast and had a most pleasant time. We returned to the City and held meeting at 93 Hornby street, Belfast. A few persons present. Bros. Lambert, Goddard and myself were the speakers. A good spirit prevailed. Bro. Geo. Wilson and I bid the other brethren good bye and we left at 9:30 p.m. for Glasgow.

[p.123][Saturday, Oct. 11, 1884 – Glasgow, Scotland] We reached Glasgow at 7 a.m. and found Bro. McKay quite well. I received a letter from Prest. Wilford Woodruff giving me some items of news, also a communication from Bros. George Q. Cannon, A. Carrington and F. D. Richards in regard to P. P. Pratt’s works. They desire to know how many Editions of the Voice of Warning and Key to Theology have been issued and what they have been sold at, what they have cost for printing and publishing and selling. They also want to know the same in regard to Spencer’s letter. Bro. Pratt’s family have asked for pay for these works, which in my Judgement they should have something.

I also got a letter from Bro. George Reynolds with a copy of one from President Jno. Taylor to Paul E. B. Hammer in answer to two letters of Bro. Hammers in which the latter wanted a change of field or go home. I at once wrote to Prest. A. H. Lund to release Bro. Hammer to return home.

We held a Council meeting of the Utah Elders at 3 p.m. At 6 p.m. the Local Priesthood came in and Bro. Angus McKay and I gave some instructions. A good spirit prevailed.

[Tuesday, Oct. 14, 1884 – Liverpool] I received a letter from Clarence Merrill yesterday asking me to permit his Father to be adopted into my Fathers family. I wrote to him, yes! 19

[Thursday, Oct. 16, 1884 – Liverpool] Today Bros. G. C. Lambert, C. J. Arthur, J. Alma Smith, H. L. James, J. W. Thornley and myself went with Bro. Hugh D. Roberts to the Show grounds at Birkenhead Where ground was broken by Mr. W. E. Gladstone for the Wirral Railway. The Prime Minister in speaking pointed the advantage that would accrue to Liverpool and North Wales by opening a more direct or shorter Route for the exchange of commodities. In his speach he made the statement that the supply of milk for Liverpool would not exceed one pint per week to every person. He has an easy way of speaking and is very well preserved for a man of his age. The shovel and wheelborrow were very fine and will no doubt find a place in some museum. From ten to twenty thousand people must have been present. I regard myself as very fortunate in getting so good a view and also in hearing so distinctly “The Grand Old Man,” as the English people call Mr. Gladstone. The crowd cheered him heartily and everything passed of pleasantly.

[p.124][Friday, Oct. 17, 1884 – Liverpool] I learned today that Mr. Guion’s creditors had given him four years in which to work out of his trouble. Elders of Glasgow have taken the Arizona and Alaska but they are to continue to sail under Guion’s flag. We are tided over for the present.

[Monday, Oct. 20, 1884 – London] I dreamed an ugly dream. I was in a room with a rattle snake and tried to kill it with a stick. I hit it a number of times but it sprung at me and in the midst of the battle I awoke. I felt it had touched my clothes but not injured me.

[Tuesday, Oct. 21, 1884 – Liverpool] Mr. G. Ramsden of Guion & Co. came and informed me that they had no boat to go on Saturday, the Nevada was burned so badly. We agreed that the Scandinavians should go on Thursday in the Inman Steamer City of Berlin and that the English should be delayed for one week and go in the Arizona. We at once telegraphed to all the presidents of Conferences and also wrote to them and all those who had sent their names to us as desiring to go.

Mr. Ramsden tells me that Mr. Guion has made an arrangement by which he is to have four years to meet his engagements.

[Thursday, Oct. 23, 1884 – Liverpool] Tonight Miss A. came to see me. She confessed that her Father had been guilty of incest with her when she was only twelve years old. She feels very bad. What is the world coming to, it seems to be one vast charnel house of sin and wickedness.

[Wednesday, Oct. 29, 1884 – Liverpool] Stormy. I bought a bracelet for little Sarah, and some sleeve buttons for George. A coat for Chase, and cap for Nathaniel.

[Wednesday, Nov. 5, 1884 – Liverpool] Pleasant. I received a letter from B. B. Young ask[ing] me to loan him means to get to Salt Lake with. I wrote to him promising him I would do to New York.

[Tuesday, Nov. 11, 1884 – Liverpool] I spent the evening looking over Puffendorf Laws of Nature and Nations at the free library.

[Friday, Nov. 14, 1884 – Liverpool] This morning I received the following.

[p.125]Manchester, Nov. 13/84

John Henry Smith
Latter-day Devil Office
42 Islington, Liverpool

Shall be in Liverpool shortly. When I shall require you to meet me in Public debate or prepare to leave Liverpool. For I shall not rest so long as a missionary from Salt Lake remains in Great Britain. I want you to discuss Mormon Doctrine & Practice in Utah. You have my Permanent address. Have you any more letters from my ex-wife yet.

William Jarman

[Sunday, Nov. 23, 1884 – Leeds] Cold. I dreamed this morning just before awakening that I took one of my upper teeth out with my fingers. It had a large hole in it and while very white it was crumbling to pieces, as I opened my knife and whittled it. I then gave it to my mother in law Sister Groesbeck who is now dead, and remarked to her that it was very peculiar. I then awakened.

We held three meetings today in the working mens hall, but few strangers present. We had a moderate turn out of Saints.

I spoke on plural marriage.

[Sunday, Dec. 7, 1884 – Sheffield, Yorkshire] At 10 a.m. we held meeting in the Temperance Hall, Brightside.

At 12 noon we closed our services. We went to the Conference house and had dinner, and at two p.m. returned to the Hall. At the front door were about three hundred people. We passed in at a side door and shortly after the door was opened in front and the crowd rushed in, the Apostate William Jarman in the lead. There were about one hundred of the Saints and their friends and about three hundred of the others. We sang and prayed and Bro. Collett spoke on the first principles of the Gospel for 25 minutes. I took the stand to speak when a “gentleman” in the hall arose and asked me to let him speak. I told him no person would be allowed to speak only those on the platform. At this a rush was made for us and two Policemen who we had hired came to the platform and we beat back the enemy and held them at bay. I and Bro. Collett threw some men off the platform, which was about four feet high. Two old Sisters got on to the platform with us and one of these pulled out some of Jarman’s beard and kicked him several times. Bro. Favel got a severe blow on the head. Jarman’s own friends nearly killed him by crowding him against the platform. Jarman then drew to the center of the Hall and made a most vile speach, while his followers yelled like demons. We then passed into a room at the back and the crowd thinking we were going to try to get away they rushed out at the front just as Inspector Smith and several more Policemen were coming to clear the hall. The door was locked and we finished up our meeting, while the rowdy demons were harrangued [p.126] in the street by Jarman. After our Services we returned to Peter [?] street. On going out the crowd hooted and hissed at me, and some of them told us they would give me a thrashing at night. A friend came in about 5 p.m. and told us that a very large crowd was gathering in front of the Hall. Bro. S. R. Bennion went and saw the Proprietor of the Hall and told him that we wanted to hold our meeting but was unable to pay any damage that might be done.

He said he should close the door for the building would certainly be wrecked. The Saints and some friends were instructed to go to the Conference House where we held our evening meeting, and while packed in close we had a good time. Elders Bennion, Biggs, Brown, Winward and myself were the speakers. The rowdy element to the tune of about two thousand strong gathered in front of the Temperance Hall and finding that [we] were gone they went to the Wicker [?] where the Saints had formerly occupied a room, and broke the windows, and not finding us they made some speeches and dispersed. There is no doubt but what if they had known where the Saints were holding their meeting the house would have been torn down. An Atheist came in to see us late in the evening, saying that the mob had run him off because he had said that we were kind of decent fellows.

I asked the police to arrest Jarman but they said they could not without a warrant.

[Monday, Dec. 8, 1884 – Sheffield, Yorkshire and Liverpool] The Sheffield Daily Telegraph of this date gives a fair account of the Riot yesterday. Bro. Bennion and I called upon Chief Constable Jackson to see whether Jarman was to be arrested and he treated us kindly but said nothing could be done as our Hall was not licensed unless we got out summonses for the leading parties. He told us that Mr. Jarman had fled and we knew no others so the matter droped. Personal liberty is a great thing when it extends to the taking away of the rights of others. It is a little to thick. I was somewhat surprised to find that the Town officials would do nothing although disorder had reigned supreme.

We called upon the Editors of the Daily Telegraph who treated us with kindness and we gave them some additional items. Mr. R. H. Dunbar was the writer of the Article.

I bid the brethren good bye and returned to Liverpool having traveled 144 miles.

I found several letters on business, among them one from Bro. G. Goddard reporting the arrival of the company at home. One from Bro. A. H. Lund and Bro. J. H. Clinger, also one each from Bros. F. Schoenfeld and Joseph A. Smith. The latter two asked Counsell in regard to what we had better do as Bro. Schoenfeld and Hochstrasser had been fined in Canton Aargau and must pay it or be imprisoned or take an appeal to a higher [p.127]tribunal. I wrote them either to take an appeal or go to prison after counseling with the brethren.

[Tuesday, Dec. 9, 1884 – Liverpool] I mailed the Sheffield Daily Telegraph to all of Utah papers and my wives. I weighed on one pair of scales tonight 222 lbs., on another pair 229 lbs.

[Wednesday, Dec. 10, 1844 – Liverpool] I received a bundle of the Sheffield Daily Telegraph giving us another fair showing in regard to the row.

I received a letter today of which the following is a Copy. It was mailed at Low Hill Post Office Nov. 9, 1884.

Mr. Smith Sir:

You are suspected as being a decendant of old Joe Smith the so called—you were like to get a fatal blow the other day. Just you mind what you are doing else you will share the same fate. You know dambd well that man is simply telling the truth as to what he knows of Utahs Salt Lake Valley. What in the name of common sense are you trying to deceive the people of this Country and getting them to obey the Gospel & emigrate to Zion where the pure in heart dwell, pure in heart with a vengeance. You know full well when the Saints migrated to Nauvoo every letter they sent to their friends in England or elsewhere were interrupted and if any detail of how things were going on and what was doing never reached their destination and a sharp eye was kept on such ever after. Yea and even after they went [to] Utah it is only lately they have anything like liberty of thought and action. Is it not deplorable for to think that in the present time such abomation to exist and that under the guise of religion. Do you believe in a God—do you believe in a just recompence of reward hereafter—do you supose thoughtful people can take in what you propound. No no you may give it up before some of you are made Martyrs for your tomfoolery—the idea of temple endowments so called—when you have to take an oath that you will suport the authorsties of the Church right or wrong and if you dont take that oath you are never seen alive again. May the great god protect us from such dambd Scoundrels—derels in human form in no mistake.

It is to be hoped and justly so that some of you villians are killed and quartered, as a just vengence of the Lord for so daring to teach and preach in his name. We warn you Smith to keep a sharp lookout else you or some of your confederates come to grief for presuming to gull the people and lead them away from their home under the auspicious of a new revelation given in these last days depend upon it your damnation is not far off—for lying and cheating, robing, and fucking other men’s wives and every girl you get hold of. Adue Smith, remember I told you before.

[p.128][Monday, Dec. 15, 1884 – Liverpool and London] I received a letter from President F. Schoenfeld written at Bern saying that the District Court of Canton Aargau had sentenced him and Bro. Hochstrasser to the payment of a fine of 260 franks or imprisonment for 45 days and then they were to be banished. He thought a conspiracy had been formed to drive us out of Switzerland. I decided to go there at once. I borrowed £20 from Mr. Ramsden and he gave me a pass to London. I proceeded at once to London and spent the evening with Bro. L. P. Lund and A. Jones. They were both well.

[Wednesday, Dec. 17, 1884 – Bern, Switzerland] Pleasant. I found Bros. Schoenfeld, J. A. Smith and several other brethren at the office well. I wrote letters to both of my wives. I visited the Swiss Congress and enjoyed myself very much.

[Thursday, Dec. 18, 1884 – Bern, Switzerland] Snow fell during the night. Today I and J. A. Smith called upon U.S. Minister Cramer. He treated us very kindly and informed me that no instructions had been given to him in regard to us. He said he could do nothing for us as the Cantons were independant and he had no power therein. He advised that our brethren just stay away from Aargau. We called upon Professor Koenig, a very learned man in Swiss law. He laughed at the decision of the court but said their decree was final so far as banishment was concerned. He also said that he did not think any of the brethren would be arrested provided they remained out of the Canton Aargau. I decided that the Elders should not go to prison or pay the fine but just take the banishment first. I released Hockstrasser to go home and decided to have Bro. F. Schoenfeld spend a little time in Germany. The brethren all endorsed my decision.

[Wednesday, Dec. 24, 1884 – Bern, Switzerland] Bro. F. Schoenfeld had provided a good dinner for all of us at the Emmenthaler Hof and all hands enjoyed it. We held a meeting in the evening. Bros. J. A. Smith, F. Schoenfeld and I did the speaking. I told Bro. Schoenfeld that he and the Elders must obey the Word of Wisdom.

[Sunday, Dec. 28, 1884 – Milan, Italy] Slept well. We visited the great Gothic Cathedral. All Marble. Cost one hundred million dollars. The Arcade in the form of a cross the finest in the world. We went to the Art Galary, Ark of Triumphe and Arena. Milan is a grand city. It has a drain around it 14 miles long. We attended services in the Cathedral.

[Tuesday, Dec. 30, 1884 – Genoa, Pisa, and Florence, Italy] We left Genoa at 4 a.m. and our route lay along the coast which [is] [p.129]high and rockey. The Railway passes through a series of tunnels and the sea and rocks furnish some splendid landscapes.

We reached the Walled City of Pisa about noon. It stands on the banks of the River Arno. We visited the Cathedral and leaning tower.

In the evening we went on to Florence and put up at the Hotel Porta Rosa.

[Wednesday, Dec. 31, 1884 – Florence, Italy] Pleasant. We hired a guide and went to the Cathedral and St. Grace, the Grand Art Galery, the Medici Chapel, Michelangelos and Dantes homes and took a fine view of the city from a hill.

[Friday, Jan. 2, 1885 – Rome, Italy] We breakfasted and went to Thos. Cook’s office and I received the following letter.

Salt Lake City, Utah – Dec.9 – 1884
Prest. John Henry Smith – Liverpool

Dear Brother.

On the morning of Saturday 6th inst. Elder Daniel H. Wells left this city on his way to Liverpool to succeed you in the Presidency of the European Mission, to which he had been previously called and set apart. He will stay a few days in the states visiting friends and then proceed to England. He is alone, prefering to be unaccompanied by any of his family. So soon after his arrival as you may deem consistent with the best interest of the mission, and as is mutually agreeable you are at liberty to return home. The date of your departure we leave entirely to your own good judgement and feelings.

Brother Wells will be able to tell you much that will doubtless be of interest to you and which cannot be so well written with regard to the bitter crusade that is now being waged against the people of the Church of Christ, and kindred subjects.

Were it not that we know in whom we trust we might have some fears for the future, but as it is we realize that he has declared it is his business to take care of his Saints, and we can rest full well assured that he will do it. Trusting that you will have an agreeable and safe journey home to your friends in Zion and with constant prayers for your prosperity and blessing.

We remain with kindest regards your brethren in the Gospel

John Taylor
Geo. Q. Cannon

We visited St. Peter’s, the Art Galery of the Vatican, the Coloseum by moonlight. Peculiar feelings pass over me as [we] stand in this old battle ground. We wandered into the old Forum among the broken Walls and Columns and stood in the paved floor. Many old memories were awakened and [p.130]there flitted before the mind as through vision the Actors in life’s drama on this ground. Silent, solemn and thoughtful we moved along. We returned to our hotel, thankful that the dreams of our youth had been realized in standing in the eternal City.

[Saturday, Jan. 3, 1885 – Rome, Italy] Weather fine. We visited many churches and temples, among them St. Pauls and Maggiore and others.

[Sunday, Jan. 4, 1885 – Rome, Italy] Weather fine. We visited the Catacombs, Churches of St. John the Lateran, Santa Croce and others.

[Monday, Jan. 5, 1885 – Rome, Italy] Pleasant. We went into the hall in St. Peter’s. We also visited the Treasury and saw the regalia with which the statue of St. Peter and the priests are decorated on gala days. We passed through the galeries of Paintings and Statuary, said to be the finest Collection in the world. The Vatican has 11,400 rooms.

We saw the Pope who is a sickly looking old gentleman. About thirty persons got down on their knees before him. Our guide told us we had now seen the God of this world.

Today is little Christmas and everybody is buying toys for their children and the people are dressed up in all manner of grotesque constumes.

The Modern City is very fine and the old ruins are grand.

[Tuesday, Jan. 6, 1885 – Rome, Italy] Weather fine. We visited Capital Hill and spent an hour in the Museum. We hired a guide and went [to] Palatine Hill and visited the Palaces of the Ceasars.

[Wednesday, Jan. 7, 1885 – Naples, Italy] Stormy. We arrived about 7 a.m. and put up at a hotel right in the bay. We took train for Pompei, passed through the ruined City and felt satisfied that God’s Judgment was meated out to the people. We hired horses and went to Mount Vesuvius. The latter is burning freely. We were satisfied and returned to our hotel, wet and tired and went to bed.

[Saturday, Jan. 10, 1885 – Bologna and Venice] Cold. We left for Venice at 4:40 a.m. and arrived at 10:15 a.m. We went by steamer up the Grand Canal under the Rialto Bridge to the Hotel Monaco De La Place St. Marc.

We went at once to the Campanile and got a fine view of the City. We saw the wonderful clock, the celebrated square, the Cathedral, the Arsnal, the Church of St. John & Paul and the Jesuits church. We also visited a Glass and Lace factory. We took a ride in a gondola and had row with the [p.131]boat man who wanted us to pay double what we had agreed upon. We were very active during the day, and tired at night.

[Tuesday, Jan. 13, 1885 – Chiasso and Bern, Switzerland] We took train for Bern. The scenery along this route is grand beyond discription, the craggy Peaks partially covered with Snow, the Ice Gorges and trees with rivulets and lakes form scenes never to be forgotten. We reached Bern at 8:30 p.m. and found Bro. J. A. Smith well. I thanked Bros. L. F. Moench, F. M. Lyman, and G. C. Naegle for their company.

[Thursday, Jan. 15, 1885- London] I reached London at 5:15 p.m. I found Bros. L. P. Lund and A. Jones well and spent the evening with them. They told me Josephine had got a boy.

[Friday, Jan. 16, 1885 – London and Liverpool] Cold. I went to Euston station and got a ticket for Liverpool, where I arrived at 2:30 p.m. and was met at the station by Bros. D. H. Wells, G. Osmond, H. L. James and C. J. Arthur who welcomed me back. They are all well.

Bro. Wells had arrived here at I oclock a.m. on the first day of January. I rode 3,670 miles and walked 150 miles.

[Monday, Jan. 19, 1885- Liverpool] I called upon Mr. George Ramsden and paid him twenty pounds that I had borrowed.

[Tuesday, Jan. 20, 1885 – Liverpool] I wrote my valedictory for the Star.

[Wednesday, Jan. 21, 1885 – Liverpool] Cold and foggy. I passed a bad night as I coughed very hard. I spent the day writing. We held meetings in the evening and had a very pleasant time. Good feelings were expressed by the Saints for me and regrets that I was going away.

[Saturday, January 24, 1885 – Liverpool] I got my things packed and ready to start.

Mr. Ramsden gave us a nice large room, No.s 241 & 2 on the grand steamer the Alaska. About 3:40 p.m. we bid the brethren good by, weighed Anchor and started on our journey. A heavy fog was resting on the River.

[Tuesday, Feb. 3, 1885 – Steamship Alaska] The steering gear is broken and we are drifting while efforts are being made by the officers to get her repaired.

[p.132][Wednesday, Feb. 4, 1885 – Steamship Alaska] Every effort has failed and at 7 p.m. signals of distress were hoisted and Rockets sent up. A fire was also built on the stern. About 10 p.m. the Lake Winnepeg of the Beaver line came alongside and an agreement entered into by which she is to assist us into port. It took most of the night to get us fastened together with two large Cables running from our stem to her bow.

[Friday, Feb. 6, 1885 – Steamship Alaska] I finished reading Old Morality. Mr. Henry George of New York presented me with a book written by himself called Social Problems. I am reading it. During the evening the sea ran high and some anxiety was felt by passengers as to the two boats remaining together.

[Saturday, Feb. 7, 1885 – Steamship Alaska] I was awakened from a deep sleep by hearing a cry all hands on Deck. I put my clothes on and went up to see what was the matter and learned that the cables had broken, and that we had parted company with the other boat, although she was following us up some distance away. The sea continues to run high and the wind is very cold. The day proved quite pleasant.

[Sunday, Feb. 8, 1885 – Steamship Alaska] The wind has gone down and we are again made fast to the Lake Winnnipeg.

We reached Sandy Hook to late to cross the Bar, the tide having gone down, so we laid by until morning. 140 pounds was given to the officers and men by the Cabin Passengers.

The Captain says it was the worst weather he ever saw at sea.

[Monday, Feb. 9, 1885 – New York Harbor] Cold. C. E. Angell and I went ashore and passed the Customs alright and took luggage to Guions Offices. I then met several Elders and Sister Wells and son. B. Y. & C. P. Rose and I were in consultation together. It is very hot times in Utah.

[Thursday, Feb. 12, 1885 – Whitefield, New Hampshire] Very cold. I called upon my Uncle John and then went to my Uncle Charles who received me kindly and I spent the day with him and had a pleasant time. I received the following telegram

Salt Lake City, Feb. 12th, 1885

John Henry Smith
Care Charles Libbey
Whitefield, N. H.

Don’t come home until advised. George Reynolds

[p.133][Thursday, Feb. 19, 1885 – Whitefield, New Hampshire] Cold. I received a letter G. Reynolds. Several brethren are under indictment for Polygamy.

The evening [with Libbey relatives] was spent in discussing my faith. They all talked pretty strong but were cool enough when we got through. This uncle is very hard of hearing. Four of my uncles here are wealthy and two are just comfortable.

[Friday, Feb. 20, 1885 – Alderbrook, New Hampshire] My Uncle H. C. Libbey made me an offer to go into the glove business with him, he giving me some stock to take hold of and introduce the gloves in Utah.

[Sunday, March 1, 1885 – Whitefield, New Hampshire] I went to the Methodist or rather the Baptist prayer meeting and had a very pleasant time. A very good spirit prevailed.

[Tuesday, March 3, 1885 – Whitefield and Alderbook, New Hampshire] I went round and bid all of my friends good by and took train for Alderbrook, the home of my Uncle Henry Clay Libbey. I found all well. He and I drove to Littleton, N.H. and looked through the Granite State Glove factory. He offered me one thousand dollars in stock for five hundred dollars.

[Visited some relatives of his Aunt Lucy in Massachussets, then returned to Utah after stopping to visit Uncle D. L. Libbey in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. ]

[Friday, March 27, 1885 – Ogden] I reached Ogden at six p.m. and was met by John F. Gay. I went to my Father in laws home and found Sarah and baby. Josephine is away from home.

[Wednesday, April 1, 1885 – Ogden and Salt Lake City] In the evening my wife Sarah and I went home to the City. We found the children at home, all well and pleased to see me. A number of friends called in to see me. John Morgan had a child die today. I went and saw his wife and spent a short time.

[Thursday, April 2, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Pleasant. I called upon a number of friends who welcomed me home. Every body seemed much surprised to see me on the street. Terror seems to have seized upon many people over the present raid.

[Friday, April 3, 1885 – Logan] Bro. G. Q. Cannon reached home today from Washington. The U.S. Marshall made an effort to capture him but failed. It is said that 20 marshalls from Utah and Idaho are in Logan.

[p.134][Saturday, April 4, 1885 – Logan] [general conference] At 10 a.m. conference convened and opened with prayer. The speakers during the morning were F. D. Richards, D. H. Cannon, W. W. Cluff, S. S. Smith & N. C. Flygate.

2 p.m. Present on the stand of the Twelve: F. D. Richards, F. M. Lyman, H. J. Grant, J. W. Taylor and myself, and most of the presidents of the stakes.

[Sunday, April 5, 1885 – Logan] 10 a.m. Conference called to order by F. D. Richards. Prayer by F. M. Lyman. The speakers were J. W. Taylor, H. J. Grant, H. H. Cluff. Benediction by C. O. Card.

2 p.m. Prayer by William Budge. An Epistle from Presidents John Taylor and George Q. Cannon was read before the conference by B. F. Gummings. F. D. Richards spoke awhile and Bro C. O. Card closed.

[Thursday, April 9, 1885 – Salt Lake City, Provo, Springville] I took train for Provo City where I met my Mother and Brother and Sister. I then went on to Springville and found Josephine and children well. I spent the day visiting.

[Friday, April 10, 1885 – Springville] Pleasant. I drove Josephine and children to Provo in W. H. Groesbeck’s Buggy. I spent the day visiting my Mother.

[Sunday, April 12, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I attended Sunday School in the 17th Ward and spoke to the children. I went to the Tabernacle and Bro. J. T. Caine and I spoke. Josephine and children came home tonight.

[Tuesday, April 14, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I drew $468.00 from Savings bank belonging to the Estate and took stock in Grant Odell and Co.’s company. I also borrowed $210.00 from Josephine and one hundred from H. J. Grant. Which gives me $1,100 paid up stock in the company.

[Wednesday, April 15, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I spent the entire day with G. Q. Cannon, F. D. Richards, B. Young, A. Carrington, M. Thatcher, F. M. Lyman, H. J. Grant, W. B. Preston, J. F. Caine and F. S. Richards. Bro. M. Thatcher gave us the result of his investigations in Mexico and favors the purchase of a large Tract of mountainous country covered with Timber and Grass.

Aunt Lucy is quite sick. Josephine sent word that our boy Nicholas was quite sick. I went to see him.

[p.135][Wednesday, April 29, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I went over Jordan and grubed willows for part of the day.

I bargained for a light Mitchel wagon $104.00. I received a box of gloves cost $23.82 freight $3.20.

[Thursday, April 30, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Pleasant. I spent most of the day with Bro. G. Q. Cannon. He is quite well. I read a letter from H. Dinwoodey and S. W. Sears making some recommendations in regard to the course we should pursue and saying that one Apostle had approved his views. I took it for granted he meant me so I wrote to him telling him that my views were to stand our ground and not run.

[Saturday, May 2, 1885 – Heber City] At 2 p.m. a political meeting was held and the document gotten up by the committee apointed at the general conference was endorsed by about six hundred people.

[Wednesday, May 13, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I met in Council with Bros. E. Snow, W. Budge, W. B. Preston and A. H. Cannon. We decided to try and get the removal of some of the Officers of Idaho.

[Sunday, May 17, 1885 – Rexburg, Idaho] [stake conference] Bro. S. B. Young made some remarks to the people about the organization of a Seventies Quorum, and the people voted to have one.

At 2 p.m. meeting commenced, the Sacrament was administered. The General Authoraries were sustained as also the local Authoraries. The people of Lyman voted against their Bishop.

I spoke upon a number of subjects and enjoyed a very free spirit.

[Monday, May 18, 1885 – Rexburg and Lyman] Bros. Francis C. Gunnell myself and five other brethren went over to Lyman and held meeting. I presented Bp. Weeks to the Saints to be sustained. 14 voted in his favor and 18 against. He resigned and his resignation was accepted. The people voted unanimously to sustain Bro. George Arnold as a presiding priest.

[Saturday, May 23, 1885 – Blackfoot, Idaho] Cold. The Cohab cases against the following brethren came up. Bp. George Stuart was sentenced to pay a fine of $300.00 and four months in the Pen at Boise, J. L. Roberts and W. J. Pratt the same. They made no promise to the Court. Samuel Humphreys was found guilty and sentenced to 6 months and $300.00 fine but as he took an appeal to the supreme Court of the Territory the Judge admitted him to bail, which he gave, W. D. Hendricks and S. H. Heale being surities. John Winn had his attorney say he was not a [p.136]”Mormon” and that he would not live with his second wife any more and he was fined $300.00. J. Boison had put his second wife away and the Judge suspended sentence during good behavior. Charles Simpson said his wife had left him because he was not a good Mormon and that for the future he would live the law. He was fined $300.00. W. D. Hendricks and Walker were held over.

Fred Turner and Joe Rich are at Eagle Rock getting affidavits against Judge J. H. Morgan.

[Sunday, May 24, 1885 – Blackfoot, Idaho] This evening Judge Morgan got word that an effort was on foot to get him removed, it made quite an excitement in the Federal camp.

[Wednesday, May 27, 1885 – Salt Lake City] G. Q. Cannon, E. Snow, F. D. Richards, F. M. Lyman, H. J. Grant, A. Carrington, J. W. Taylor and I were in Council most all day. J. W. Young was brought under scrutiny. He had written to know whether to come home or not. We told each other own views in regard to him.

[Thursday, May 28, 1885 – Salt Lake City] E. Snow, F. D. Richards, A. Carrington, F. M. Lyman, H. J. Grant, J. W. Taylor and myself met in Council. A letter was written to J. W. Young telling him that he could act his own good will and pleasure by coming home or staying where he is.

[Wednesday, June 3, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Very hot. I today gave my note for fourteen hundred dollars to G. H. Taylor for one year at 10 per cent per annum. I gave twenty five hundred dollars in Grant Odell and Co. stock for security. I got one hundred dollars in cash from J. Jack and 34 dollars from my son George. I paid Grant, Odell and Go. $114.00 on account.

During the evening the following brethren met in Council at G. Q. Cannons farm at 10 p.m. John Taylor, G. Q. Cannon, E. Snow, F. D. Richards, B. Young, A. Cartington, M. Thatcher, F. M. Lyman, H. J. Grant, J. W. Taylor, J. Q. Cannon, L. J. Nuttall, George Reynolds and myself. Several other brethren were about the house. Bro. Cannons children sang a hymn for us. Bro. E. Snow opened with prayer.

President John Taylor spoke to us for a short time. Bros. Young and Thatcher reported their trip to Mexico. They had been well treated by all they had met. The Secretaries of state and the interior were very kind and desired our people to move into their country.

[Thursday, June 4, 1885 – Salt Lake City] In the evening the following brethren met at Bro. G. Q. Cannon’s farm. Prest. J. Taylor, G. Q. Cannon, Elders E. Snow, F. D. Richards, Brigham Young, Albert Carrington, Moses Thatcher, F. M. Lyrnan, H. J. [p.137]Grant, J. W. Taylor, J. Q. Cannon, L. J., Nuttall, George Reynolds and myself and a number of the brethren stood guard outside.

It was decided we would form a colony in Old Mexico by unanimous vote of those present and that deligations should go to the City of Mexico and also to our brethren on the Casa Grande River. Some other items of business were talked over and we returned to our homes, it was 2 a.m.

[Friday, June 5, 1885 – Salt Lake City] During the evening and while it was raining hard I drove out to Bro. Hansen’s in the Country where the following brethren met in Counsel. John Taylor, G. Q. Cannon, E. Snow, Franklin D. Richards, Brigham Young, A. Carrington, M. Thatcher, F. M. Lyman, H. J. Grant, J. W. Taylor, John Q. Cannon, L. J., Nuttall, George Reynolds and myself. Other brethren on the outside.

E. Snow, B. Young, & F. M. Lyman were appointed to go to Mexico. H. J. Grant was instructed to offer the City some land on City creek, now owned by the Church for fifty thousand dollars. We adjourned not to meet again until called.

[Wednesday, June 10, 1885 – Salt Lake City] After our Council was over Prest. G. Q. Cannon said to Bros. F. D. Richards, B. Young, F. M. Lyman, H.J. Grant and I that Prest. J. Taylor desired the Apostles to refrain from telling vulgar stories and all light minded-ness as it grieved the spirit of the Lord.

[Tuesday, June 23, 1885 – Cedar City] I had a long talk with my Sister Mary A. Wimmer. She told me that her husband Peter Wireruer had been cut off from the Church but had been rebaptised but that his Priesthood had not been restored. I told her if she would leave him, I would make an effort to aid her to care for her family. She told me she did not think she could do it.

[Thursday, July 2, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Very warm. While working in front of my house this morning cleaning out the water ditch Deputy United States Marshall H. F. Collin put me under arrest for Illegal Cohabitation. Deputies H. Miller and Lindsay Sprague joined him. They subpoenaed my son George A., Wife Sarah, Sarah Arnold, Joseph Groesbeck, Millie Morgan, and John A. Groesbeck. Deputy H. Miller took me to the Marshall’s office and from thence to Commissioner McKay’s office. Attorney Dixon came in and Joseph Groesbeck, George Albert Smith and Sarah Arnold were examined. The Court took a recess until 4 p.m. Hugh Anderson and Sam Merritt, both Non-Mormons became my sureties. 4 p.m. Court met again. John A. Groesbeck was put on the witness stand and Sarah Arnold again. The Commissioner discharged me. Dixon instructed Collins to hold the witnesses for the Grand Jury. He said he had done so. I [p.138]met with Bro. G. Q. Cannon for a short time in the evening. Judge Harkness was my Attorney.

[Friday, July 3 – Salt Lake City] Hot. I did not sleep much last night. Josephine, George, and baby went away in a wagon.

[Saturday, July 4, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Very Hot. Fire crackers are poping, but few flags are raised. Flags were floating at half mast on many buildings. Much excitement gotten up over the matter. ! went to the Theatre in the evening.

[Sunday, July 5, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Warm. I went to Farmington and attended meeting at 2 p.m. I spoke on the first principles of the Gospel. I met with the High Council and talked over election matters.

[Monday, July 6, 1885 – Morgan County] H. J. Grant and I went to Morgan Co. In the evening we had the Priesthood together and talked over political matters. The brethren felt united.

[Tuesday, July 7, 1885 – Coalville] We went on to Coalville and put up with Bro. W. W. Cluff. The people are building an elegant meeting house. The priesthood came together in the evening and talked over the political situation. The Liberal party have three hundred more registered voters than the People’s party. It was unanimously decided that either W. E. Park or W. W. Cluff would sit for the Legislature.

[Wednesday, July 8, 1885 – Coalville and Park City] Warm. We went by railroad to Park City and from there by stages to Heber City.

We had the Priesthood together and it was decided that A. Hatch was the choice of the people for the Legislature.

[Thursday, July 9, 1885 – Heber City to Provo] Cloudy. Mark Jeffs took us in his wagon to Provo City. Bro. H. J. Grant went on to the City. I stopped over and met with the brethren. Legislative matters were talked over and a list of names were agreed upon for Representatives if the choice of the Convention.

[Friday, July 10, 1885 – Provo and Nephi] Hot. I went to Nephi today and put up with Jacob Bigler. I met with a number of the brethren in the evening and names were canvassed for the Legislature. Joel Grover was the choice of the brethren for Representative.

[p.139][Sunday, July 12, 1885 – Spanish Fork and Springville] Bp. G. D. Small drove me over to Springville. It put up at N. H. Groesbeck’s, he was at home. Josephine was there.

[Wednesday, July 29, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Warm and Sultry. I spent five hours today at Mr. Warnacks talking with my Cousin Joseph Smith of the Reorganized Church. We canvassed a number of points but could not agree.

[Thursday, July 30, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Hotter Still. For several days past Deputy Marshalls or spotters have been following in my track. Watson Bros. came and laid out my house and commenced diging for the foundation. I am to pay Watson Bros. $720 and Romney $1,150.

[Sunday, Aug. 9, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I attended meeting at the Tabernacle. C. W. Stayner, Bro. Bramall and W. Fotheringham and I were the speakers. Bro. Fotheringham had been released from the Penitentiary and came direct to meeting. A feeling of Joy pervaded the congregation when he got up. J. spent two weeks at Aunt Susans.

[Went south for conferences and visited Manti Temple under construction.]

[Friday, Aug. 28, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Pleasant. I gave Watson Bros. $360.00 in credit on the office. I had some visit with Prest. G. Q. Cannon today. He instructed me to get volunteers to go to the San Juan.

[Monday, Sept. 7, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I paid Watson Bros. $360.00 today in a check on Zions Savings Bank for work done on my house. This pays them in full $720.00 for brick work. My family were not summoned to appear before the grand jury today.

[Tuesday, Sept. 15, 1885 – Dry Camp, Uinta County] We drove to Ashley and took dinner with Bp. J. Hatch. I then drove to my sister’s, and found all well. I learned the Deputy Marshall had been instructed to search Byron Colton’s home for Josephine.

[Friday, Sept. 18, 1885 – Ashley, Uinta County] Hot! flies are bad at every house where I have been.

I am thirty-seven years old today.

[Sunday, Sept. 20, 1885 – Ashley, Uinta County] Warm. We had a large attendance at the meetings today.

[p.140]At 12 noon a Priesthood meeting was held at which Bro. A. Hatch and I were the speakers. The brethren voted to be organized into a Stake. They also voted to forgive each other their trespasses.

[Monday, Sept. 28, 1885 – Heber City] Pleasant. We learned last night that Bp. John Sharp had resolved to obey the injunction of the Court and live apart from his family. It gave me the heart ache to hear this.

[Wednesday, Sept. 30, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Pleasant. S. N. Sears, & T. O. Angel Jr. went back on their religion before the Court today. Bp. H. B. Clawson was true as steel.

[Thursday, Oct. 1, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I spent the day about home. I wrote a letter to President Taylor in regard to my trip to Uinta Co. I also asked for a loan of five hundred dollars to complete my house.

I met Bros. E. Snow, G. Q. Cannon, B. Young, F. M. Lyman, H. J. Grant and J. W. Young in Counsel tonight. A Mr. Clemence from New York met with us and tried to negotiate a land claim. I feel a little suspicious of him.

[Friday, Oct. 2, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I spent part of the day at home. I went to the Historian Office and met Bros. E. Snow, B. Young, F. M. Lyman and Mr. Clemence. We read Mr. Clemence’s grant of land from the Mexican government.

[Tuesday, Oct. 6, 1885 – Logan] [general conference] At 10 a.m. the conference was called to order by Elder F. D. Richards. Of the Twelve there were present on the stand F. D. Richards, M. Thatcher, F. M. Lyman, H. J. Grant, J. W. Taylor and myself.

[Wednesday, Oct. 7, 1885 – Logan] Pleasant. At 10 a.m. conference convened. Prayer by H. J. Grant. Bro. M. Thatcher read a long Epistle from Presidents Taylor and Cannon, warning the saints to be faithfull.

The Twelve met in Council with several brethren from Idaho and talked over the Political Situation in that Territory.

[Tuesday, Oct. 18, 1885 – Salt Lake City] At 8 p.m. the following brethren met in Council at the Bishop’s Office. G. Q. Cannon, E. Snow, F. D. Richards, M. Thatcher, A. Carrington, F. M. Lyman, H. J. Grant, W. B. Preston and I. J. Beck’s great Mining Suit was talked over. It was agreed it should be sold if possible, if not we would fight it out.

[p.141][Friday, Oct. 16, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Pleasant. I called on President Joseph Smith of the Reorganized Church. Most of the day.

[Wednesday, Oct. 21, 1885 – Logan] After meeting I drove to the Temple and learned I could not do any work because I had no recommend from my Bishop.

[Went to Idaho for meetings in several cities, returning to Logan, October 31, for Cache Stake conference.]

[Sunday, Nov. 1, 1885 – Logan] This makes thirty-eight meetings I have attended in two weeks.

[Monday, Nov. 2, 1885 – Logan] Pleasant. I visited the Temple and spent a short time. Bro. F. D. Richards told Bro. M. Thatcher and I that a charge of adultery had been made against Bro. Albert Cartington.

[Tuesday, Nov. 3, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Cloudy. Bro. J. W. Taylor, F. D. Richards and I met together and Bro. Richards read to us the evidence against Bro. Cartington and instructed Bro. Taylor and I to hunt up more testimony both for and against him. We did so.

[Wednesday, Nov. 4, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Bro. J. W. Taylor and I spent the day Searching for evidence.

[Thursday, Nov. 5, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Bro. Taylor and I continued our researches.

[Friday, Nov. 6, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Snow about 6 inches deep and thawing. G. F. Gibbs and I had an interview with Mary J. Nowlan and Jeanette Paton. The former gave some damaging testimony against Bro. Cartington. The latter was unwilling to say anything. The following members of the Twelve were together this evening in the Historian Office: Wilford Woodruff, Lorenzo Snow, Erastus Snow, F. D. Richards, B. Young, A. Carrington, M. Thatcher, F. M. Lyman, H. J. Grant, J. W. Taylor, J. W. Young Councillor and myself and G. F. Gibbs met together. Bro. Richard Bridge and wife Sarah K. made a charge of adultry in writing against Br. Albert Carrington. Bro. J. W. Taylor, to whom the complaint was made stated the case and I gave what evidence I had obtained. Bro. A. Carrington got up and Confessed to guilt with Janette Johnson, Ruth Worsdale, and Sarah K. Bridge. All of the brethren but Bro. G. F. Gibbs spoke, and could find no way to do but cut Bro. A. Carrington off from the Church. Bro. W. Woodruff decided that he be cut of[f] and he was sustained by the vote of all present.

[p.142][Saturday, Nov. 7, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Several of the Twelve met together and talked the case of J. W. Young. In the evening the following brethren met in President John Taylor’s office: Wilford Woodruff, Lorenzo Snow, Erastus Snow, F. D. Richards, Brigham Young, Moses Thatcher, F. M. Lyman, J. H. Smith, H. J. Grant, J. W. Taylor. J. W. Young was also present and a labor lasting seven hours was taken up with him. He seemed humble and said he would do anything asked by the brethren. He was instructed to put his business in such a shape that he could attend to his religious duties, he said he would do so.

[Monday, Nov. 9, 1885 – Salt Lake City] In the evening Bros. W. Woodruff, E. Snow, B. Young, F. M. Lyman, J. H. Smith and H. J. Grant met with Presidents J. Taylor and G. Q. Cannon. Mexican affairs was talked over And Bros. E. Snow, B. Young and F. M. Lyman were instructed to keep an eye on matters in that country.

[Tuesday, Nov. 10, 1885 – Salt Lake City] The following notice in the Evening News


Charges having been preferred against Albert Carrington, a full and patient hearing was had before the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, where the following decision was unanimously adopted.

That Albert Carrington be excommunicated from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints for the crimes of Lewd and Lascivious conduct and adultry. W. Woodruff, Lorenzo Snow, Erastus Snow, Franklin D. Richards, Brigham Young, Moses Thatcher, Francis M. Lyman, John Henry Smith, Heber J. Grant, John W. Taylor and Councilor John W. Young.

[Thursday, Nov. 19, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Warm, Cloudy. I spent most of the day about home helping the folks to move into the new house.

[Friday, Nov. 20, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Deputy Marshalls went to Brigham City this morning and arrested Apostle Lorenzo Snow. O. F. Vandercook led the posse.

[Saturday, Nov. 21, 1885 – Salt Lake City] U.S. Marshall Oscar F. Vandercook was arrested this evening by the City Police for Lewd conduct.

[Thursday, Nov. 26, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I had all of my family together today and we had a very pleasant time. All are well, for which I thank my Heavenly Father.

[p.143][Thursday, Dec. 3, 1885 – Salt Lake City]

It is very foggy today. I tried to purchase the home of Silas T. Smith. I spent part of the day with Prest. G. Q. Cannon.

[Friday, Dec. 4, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I purchased from J. Fewson Smith a mortgage on Silas T. Smith house and lot. Paid $2,363.33 and one dollar for recording transfer.

[Saturday, Dec. 5, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I got from James Jack order in favor Taylor Romney and Armstrong for $450.00 and One hundred in Gash that I paid to David James and Co. I drew all the money I had in the little Bank $192.50.

[Monday, Dec. 7, 1885 – Salt Lake City] It is snowing and blowing like wrath this morning. I met the City Council and gave testimony that there would be no insurection among the Mormons. L. Snow, F. D. Richards, H. J. Grant & J. W. Taylor did the same. Some troops came today.

[Monday, Dec. 14, 1885 – Provo] I went to Provo and spoke today and returned home in the evening. My daughter Sarah is sick with Diptheria. I spent the night with her.

[Sunday, Dec. 20, 1885 – Salt Lake City] I preached in the Tabernacle in the afternoon and had good liberty, subject first principles of the Gospel. In the evening I went to hear my Cousin, Joseph, the son of the Prophet preach.

[Monday, Dec. 21, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Joseph Smith started east this morning. I went to the Railroad station and bid him good bye.

[Tuesday, Dec. 22, 1885 – Salt Lake City] N. H. Groesbeck of Springville and family were arrested yesterday morning. He appeared before the Commissioner today and plead guilty and the family were put under bonds to await the action of the Grand Jury.

[Wednesday, Dec. 23, 1885 – Salt Lake City] Pleasant still. I was busy getting together our Christmas.


19. Church authorities occasionally were asked by individuals and families of lesser prominence to be adopted in order to be part of the authorities’ families in eternity. See Gordon Irving, “The Law of Adoption: One Phase of the Development of the Mormon Concept of Salvation, 1830-1900,” Brigham Young University Studies 14 (Spring 1974): 291-314:.