Seeing Salt Lake City
by Alan Barnett

"White House"
[p.81] Brigham Young’s “White House” on South Temple, April 20, 1911. This adobe structure was completed in 1854 before the more famous Beehive and Lion houses. It served as a residence for Mary Ann Angell, who married Brigham Young in 1834 after his first wife died. The White House was located where the Elks Club Building now stands. (Neg. 11794.)

• • • • •

new ball grounds
[p.82] New ball grounds looking southwest, April 22, 1911. This ballpark on 800 South became known as Cooley Park. Since 1947, Sears department store has occupied the site. (Neg. 11904.)

• • • • •

1st Avenue
[p.83] Pavement on 1st Avenue, April 24, 1911. Shipler took this photograph to document the street surface. In so doing, he also illustrated the changes that have taken place around LDS church headquarters since then. The unfinished Hotel Utah and the temple are the only structures in this photograph to have survived the twentieth century. (Neg. 11907.)

• • • • •

Utah National Guard equipment
[p.84] Utah National Guard equipment, July 31, 1911. This view looking east on Pierpont Street shows the National Guard Armory on the left. These buildings were built by the Oregon Short Line Railroad in 1897-98 and were home to Salt Lake High School prior to its relocation to the current site of West High in 1902. Today they house restaurants and offices. (Neg. 12349.)

• • • • •

Pioneer Park
[p.85] Playground at Pioneer Park, September 1, 1911. When the Mormon pioneers laid out the plat of Salt Lake City in 1847, this block was designated as a public square, along with Union Square (now West High School) and Washington Square (site of the City and County Building). It became known as Pioneer Square because it was the site of the original Pioneer Fort. When Shipler took this photograph, the surrounding neighborhood was more residential than it is today, and, as this image suggests, the park was a neighborhood playground. (Neg. 12412.)

• • • • •

Eagle Building
[p.86] The Eagle Building, September 28, 1911. This elaborate Victorian commercial building stood on the southeast corner of West Temple and 200 South. (Neg. 12602.)

• • • • •

Utah Light and Railway Co.
[p.87] Utah Light and Railway Company streetcar barns, October 2, 1911. Because streetcar systems required large amounts of electricity, early electrical service and mass transit were often provided by the same company. The original plan for the city designated this block as a public square, and in the 1890s it functioned as the Territorial and State Fairgrounds. This view from the southeast corner of the block shows the complex where the city’s streetcars were stored and serviced. In 1972, following an extensive renovation, the block opened as a shopping center under the name “Trolley Square.” (Neg. 12635B.)

• • • • •

Bamberger Building
[p.88] The Bamberger Building, 163 South Main Street, December 28, 1911. This building constructed for the First National Bank in 1872, originally boasted a fourth story and a mansard roof, both of which were destroyed in a fire in 1875. When this photograph was taken, the president of the Bamberger Coal Company was Simon Bamberger, who later became governor of Utah. (Neg. 12947.)

• • • • •

Liberty Theater
[p.89] The Liberty Theater, March 15, 1912. This photograph was taken for the Nephi Plaster Company and shows an elaborately decorated faςade. Miss Liberty was eventually removed from the building and the theater was renamed the Gem. This site at 160 South State is now a parking lot for a fast food restaurant. (Neg. 13153.)

• • • • •

Wells Fargo and Co.
[p.90] Wells Fargo and Company building, April 4, 1912. Wells Fargo erected this stone building at 125 South Main in 1866. It was one of three similar buildings with tall arched windows that stood on the east side of Main Street between 100 and 200 South streets. Shipler simply labeled this image “Herald-Republican new building site.” Although the Herald-Republican newspaper never followed through on its plans, the building was soon demolished and a new bank was erected in its place in 1913. (Neg. 13234.)