Seeing Salt Lake City
by Alan Barnett

Salt Lake City Brewing Co.
[p.91] Salt Lake City Brewing Company, May 9, 1912. This imposing castle stood on 1000 East in the area known as “Brewery Hill.” While one building from the brewery survives, the location of these two buildings is now a diagonal street connecting 400 and 500 South streets. (Neg. 13334.)

• • • • •

Salt Lake Fire Dept. Station #1
[p.92] Salt Lake Fire Department Station No. 1, May 22, 1912. This station stood on 100 South adjacent to the old City Hall. The intricately carved sandstone faςade designated the portals for each vehicle and exhibited various firefighting symbols. (Neg. 13360.)

• • • • •

Utah State National Bank
[p.93] Utah State National Bank, June 28, 1912. The first two floors of this structure were built in 1864 for the Eagle Emporium, and in 1868 the building became the first Zion’s Cooperative Mercantile Institution (ZCMI) store. Eventually, two more floors were added; several years after Shipler took this photograph, the original red sandstone walls were clad in terra cotta. Today the building has been reduced to two stories again, but its terra cotta skin makes it unrecognizable as the Eagle Emporium. It still stands on the southwest corner of 100 South and Main and is the oldest structure on Main Street. (Neg. 13579.)

• • • • •

400 South from West Temple
[p.94] Looking east on 400 South from West Temple, August 27, 1912. The Shubrick Apartments are under construction on the left, while the steel frame of the Newhouse Hotel rises on the right. (Neg. 13833.)

• • • • •

University Club
[p.95] The University Club viewed from the northwest, October 26, 1912. This building stood on South Temple between State Street and 200 East. In December 1963, Salt Lake City mayor J. Bracken Lee delivered the first demolition blow to the structure as part of the groundbreaking ceremonies for a new twenty-five-story University Club Building. (Neg. 14094.)

• • • • •

Keith O'Brien Store
[p.96] The new Keith O’Brien Store at 300 South and State Street, November 21, 1912. This exclusive department store operated here for about ten years, then Auerbach’s occupied the site from 1923 to 1979. The structure has since been remodeled as an office building, but the basic lines seen in this photograph are still visible. (Neg. 14162.)

• • • • •

Paris Millinery
[p.97] The Paris Millinery, May 3, 1913. At a time when hats were a standard part of public attire, the Paris was the most prominent millinery shop in town. This photograph shows the elegant new structure at 40 East 300 South into which the business had just moved. The interior of the store was known for its central rotunda and domed art-glass skylight. Like so many buildings in Salt Lake, this building was later refaced with a more stream-lined faςade, and eventually demolished. (Neg. 14586.)

• • • • •

Wandamere Race Track
[p.98] Unidentified man at Wandamere Race Track, October 1913. This “motordrome” was used for motorcycle racing and was part of an amusement park located on 2700 South between 500 and 700 East streets. In 1921, after Wandamere resort had closed, Charles W. Nibley, the presiding bishop of the LDS church, purchased the property and donated it to the city for use as a golf course. (Neg. 14669.)

• • • • •

Kahn Bros. Wholesale Grocers
[p.99] Kahn Bros. Wholesale Grocers, December 13, 1913. This building was conveniently located near the railroad on 400 West, across the street from the Union Pacific Depot. The Delta Center now occupies this site. (Neg. 15102.)

• • • • •

W. S. Henderson Building
[p.100] W. S. Henderson Building, February 28, 1914.  Located on the corner of 200 South and 400 West, this warehouse has been well maintained and today looks nearly identical to this 1914 image. (Neg. 15201.)